The MBDA website has a suite of tools for business owners, that could be helpful to those who don’t want to spend a lot of time and money on a starter business plan.
The most powerful of these is their Business Plan Writer software, which walks you through the process of writing a business plan, step by step. The approach is very useful, if you’re not sure what information should be included in your plan.
After the extensive series of question and answers, it automatically formats your business plan, and provides a downloadable copy in MS Word.
All of the MBDA website resources are completely free, including the Business Plan Writer.
Access the online application by following these steps:
- Go to the MBDA homepage at www.mbda.gov, and set up a free account.
- After the account is confirmed, go back to the home page, and click on the “Use Business Tools” link, just below the middle of the page.
- Click on the “Business Plan Writer” link to the left, and follow the instructions from there.
You’ll have a detailed business plan before you know it.
Here are some materials that you might need when preparing your business plan:
- Tax records for the last 3 years or so.
- If you already lease a space, have your lease agreement ready.
- If you’re looking to purchase equipment or marketing services, have some figures at hand.