Seattle’s 20th annual Earshot Jazz Festival presents more than 50 one-of-a-kind events in concert halls, clubs, and community centers all around the city beginning October 17th and continuing through November 8th.
Known for “adventurous, spot-on programming” (Jazz Times) and praised as “one of the best festivals in America” (Seattle Times) the Earshot Jazz Festival brings important artists from around the world into creative collaboration with area audiences and Seattle’s finest jazz musicians.
Some of the highlights planned for this 20th Earshot Festival include:
- NEA Jazz Master James Moody with the Seattle Repertory Jazz Orchestra in a 4-day residency that includes oral history interviews, educational programs, and two concerts.
- Pioneering avant-garde pianist and NEA Jazz Master Cecil Taylor in a solo concert at Seattle’s Town Hall.
- Saxophonist Ravi Coltrane and his quartet at the Triple Door.
- Pianist Marilyn Crispell in concert at the Chapel Performance Space.
- Vocalist Simone, daughter of Nina Simone, in concert in Bothell.
- A collaboration with the Langston Hughes Cultural center that includes concerts by violinist Billy Bang, Seattle jazz legend Julian Priester, a tribute to Seattle organist Dave Lewis by his grandson, drummer D’Vonne Lewis, and panel discussions about trends and issues in jazz.
- A pre-election concert at Town Hall by Bassist Charlie Haden’s Liberation Music Orchestra featuring pianist/arranger Carla Bley.
- A 20-year retrospective of internationally-known Seattle resident Wayne Horvitz featuring his groups, The President, New York Composer’s Orchestra West, Pigpen, and Zony Mash with Horns.
- Seattle’s award winning Garfield and Roosevelt High School jazz bands in main stage concerts with guests such as Wycliffe Gordon.
- A dance party with Funk saxophonist Maceo Parker and his band.
- Japanese pianist Satoko Fujii with Rova’s Larry Ochs
- And many, many more
Tickets for the Earshot Jazz festival will be on sale in late August through Earshot Jazz and at various Seattle jazz spots. Complete concert information will be available as it develops at www.earshot.org